Building the Partitions

balloons

Photo Credit: Free Digital Photos

Release the balloons, bring in the clowns, we have 36 amazing writers signed up as members now.   The ad hoc Steering Committee meeting on Google+ went well Thursday evening.

Well, it was evening for me.  It was mid-afternoon for Lori and, well, you get the picture.  Our group is spread across the globe and it’s difficult to pick times when everyone can be available.  We’ll be doing our best to meet weekly though and using Twitter, Facebook Chat, and whatever else it takes to keep everyone in the loop.

Lara is posting the names of the Steering Committee and linking to their author pages so that all the members will know who to contact if they have questions.

And that brings me to the topic of this post.  It’s time to start forming our Teams.  For now we’re calling them Theme teams.  To define that for you, we mean general areas of interest that people have in common.

We had already decided on Fiction, Poetry, and KidLit just to give people examples of possible areas for exploration.  After thinking about it for a couple of days, I added Non-Fiction, Inspirational, and SAHM to the menu.

These are NOT set in stone.  We may be changing the names, adding more, taking some away, or making subdivisions.  We’re not building walls here, just putting up partitions.  There won’t be any doors.  You can wander about to suit yourselves.

Photo Credit: Free Digital Photos

The present goal is to get a feel for everyone’s interests, experiences, and abilities.  You can be on several teams at once, if you want, or just one.  It’s up to you in the long run.

Just now, we are trying to get an idea of how many teams we need and what topics they should cover.  As I said, the current ones are just examples.  Our building process is still in flux.  We have working drawings for the layout, but no desks installed.

To help us decide on the themes and try to organize everyone into teams, we really need as many of you as possible to add your Author Bios.  They don’t have to be long or complex.  We’re just looking for basic information, at the moment.  We’ve got ten in place.  Take a look, pick one that feels compatible, and model your own along the same lines.  We’ll be looking them over and using the info there to formalize the teams.

It’s not any more difficult than writing a regular blog post.  You won’t even need to do any research!  It’ll just take a little thought and a few minutes of writing time.   Here’s the mechanics:

1. Sign in with your WordPress ID. (Don’t have one? It’s simple.  Go here.  Click the orange button.  You don’t have to add a new blog.  This one is yours too.)
  2. Under Posts, click “Add New”
  3. Put your name as the title and add your information.  When you are satisfied with it:
  4. In the upper right corner of the screen, find the big Publish box.
  5. At the top left of that box, there’s a button that says “Save Draft”
  6. Click the button and let a member of the Steering Committee know it’s there.

Photo Credit: Free Digital Photos

We’ll take the post and turn it into a page on the drop down menu under “Author Bios.”  When we have a majority of the authors listed, we’ll survey them to see what categories we need to set up and post some sort of poll for everyone to vote for the teams they want to join.

We are the Not Bobbers and we are creating a solid platform for our people to stand upon as they build their individual writing lives.   Help us celebrate our networking prowess.   We rock! Robert Brewer may not have known what he was starting, but he should be proud of how it is turning out.

13 comments for “Building the Partitions

1. May 25, 2012 at 5:31 pm

thanks for doing all this! i will try to get a bio to you guys tomorrow. i am finally back among the living and hope to be a part of all this. and when you have a category for jack of all trades, that’s the one i’ll be in. 🙂

2. May 26, 2012 at 4:00 am

Wonderful post. You answered many questions I’ve been having (since I’ve only moments a day to check in on this just now). I’ll move the bio up on my to-do list.

3. May 26, 2012 at 11:33 am

Thanks so much to those of you organizing this awesome project. I am on vacation this weekend, but writing my bio is a top priority for next week!

4. May 26, 2012 at 10:34 pm

April,
    Thanks for making such clear instructions! I am still going back & forth on what I would like to write about: life turning point subjects like my blog or using my experience/research as I created my blog to help others create blogs, use Twitter, blog Fb pgs & Google+ to help new bloggers reach potential readers, mashups of websites that are helpful to new bloggers, etc. I kept all my notes and info from the day I decided to do a blog to todays date. I have tons of great info in Evernote & OneNote, esp. Web pages. I think I am leaning towards the latter option because it would be nice to write about something different. Anyone else interested? I will write this idea in our doc.

Monique

• May 27, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I’d be interested in that kind of team, although I’m not sure what we’d call it exactly.
      I don’t consider myself any kind of expert, but I’ve been using WordPress for several years and have put together several sites for other people along the way.

In fact, I’m already doing a similar kind of thing with my company blog although it’s geared more towards small businesses than blogs: http://www.madisonvilledesign.com.

• May 28, 2012 at 1:15 am

Me, too. I would like to add that to a freelancing business for small startups and social entrepreneurs. Maybe we could run a series of clinics that people register for instead of a straight blog series on it. Powerpoint, live chat, etc. If we did it as a team moderated event, I think folks would like that. Definitely interested in learning more on the techie side. Lynn Daue is also good at this sort of thing.

• May 28, 2012 at 8:52 am

So I signed up for a WordPress identity, but not a blog since I already have one. I don’t see “Posts” anywhere on my page or this one, so don’t know where to put my bio. Help?

• May 28, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Have you sent your user ID and a current email address to Lori? She will need to have that information in order to add you to the MNINB blog site as an author. Then you will be able to go there, click on the Dashboard and add a post.

5. May 29, 2012 at 3:28 am

I sincerely appreciate receiving clear direction on what is expected of me. I am planning on having some new photos done within the next two weeks. Once I can get the photos and the text aligned, I plan to add my bio. In the meantime, I plan to proceed as Lori has requested, to begin formulating the inspirational theme team.

6. May 30, 2012 at 4:01 am

Images — First frame: Not Bob with a trailing of Not Bobbers at his heels. Second frame: Not Bob overrun by Not Bobbers as they take off.

These are exciting times and how lovely to be here from the start and watch the take-off.

7. alvaradofrazier
    May 30, 2012 at 7:12 am

I gave it a try but couldn’t find Step 2: “Add New.” I’m on Blogger, but do have a WordPress.com account with no blog.
    Haven’t gotten time to transfer to WP and don’t know if it’s an advantage or disadvantage to do so.

• May 31, 2012 at 2:58 pm

You need to be invited to be an author. We have a sign up sheet that my first post links to. But since you commented here, I was able to lift your email from the dashboard. Just sent you an invite on my whirledpeascafe email. As soon as you click to accept that, you will see all of the things that any other with author would see. Happy Bio Writing!