Help Build Our New Platform

This week we will be looking for Trail Blazers to help us determine some of the questions so that we can look to the larger group for answers.  Our first order of business is to organize a Steering Committee.  This should be a group with some experience and knowledge in “herding butterflies” as Lori Tian Sailiata, our instigator  and current administrator,  lovingly refers to her attempts to get us sorted out.

At the moment, we have 1 admin (per WordPress recommendation), 8 editors and 8 authors.  We are trying to add more users as we get email and user ID  information. We should have many more authors than this.  The role of author will be the backbone of our organization. Add your user information to the document on the MNINB Facebook page and we’ll get you set up.

For those not familiar with the user role terminology.  Here’s what it all means:

Administrator –  has full access to all features:  posts/pages, comments, settings, theme choice, import, users, plugins, etc. – the whole Dashboard menu is open to them.  The admin is the only one who can alter the site’s overall look and feel.

Editor –  can view, edit, publish, and delete everyone’s posts/pages, moderate comments, manage categories, manage tags, manage links and upload files/images.  They cannot alter the basic structure of the site.

Author – An author can edit, publish and delete only their own posts, as well as upload files/images.  Unless they are a member of the Steering Committee, their only responsibility will be supplying content.

These roles are the ones we are concerned with at the moment.  There are two others that we may add later on, Contributor and Follower, but first we need to get ourselves organized.

So, we are looking for volunteers or nominations to form a Steering Committee, kind of like an Executive Board of Directors.  If you are a Not Bobber and are willing to be involved in setting policy and deciding on our basic structure, leave a comment below.  The steering committee won’t necessarily need editor access.  They can come from any user role.  Their job is to advise and help us make decisions on the best way to set things up.

If you don’t have the time or the inclination yourself, but you know someone who’s got talent and experience, use your comment to nominate them. Of course, they will have the right to refuse, but it’s always nice to be nominated.

Just remember that we are currently restricting committee membership to those who were involved in Robert Brewer’s April Platform Building Challenge.  With enough cooperation and solid planning we can build a solid platform here to showcase our work in a central location.

34 comments for “Help Build Our New Platform

1. May 21, 2012 at 7:50 am

I’d love to help steer!!

2. May 21, 2012 at 8:08 am

I cannot add one more thing to my 35 year old voice in a early 70s body; i’m sorry; because i sign up for all things – maybe that’s why my voice still 35 – best wishes and i hope to participate; hooray for all of you lovelies!

3. Veronica Roth
    May 21, 2012 at 9:35 am

Am I an artistwriter or a writerartist? I look at the brush in one hand and the pen in the other and I don’t know what the answer is. Mostly I find that to the literary folk I’m classified as an artist and to the art world I’m a writer. I like Trail Blazer. I want to be one!

4. May 21, 2012 at 9:38 am

I would love to ber an author on your site. I have a self-published novel on Amazon Kindle at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blood-Addiction-ebook/dp/B004SC19SI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337628951&sr=8-1 and a blog at http://mrsbongle.com/

• May 21, 2012 at 11:47 am

Thank you so much for your interest! We are only beginning on this adventure, and are currently gathering together the folks that were a part of Robert Lee Brewer’s April Platform Challenge. We are in the midst of organizing and creating pesky things like by-laws. I hope you enjoy the site, and check in with us again to see how we progress. ~Lara

5. danadampier
    May 21, 2012 at 10:04 am

I’m a little shy about speaking up… but I will help anywhere I’m needed. If that includes steering, then I will grab my horse and ropes.

6. Mel
    May 21, 2012 at 10:34 am

Count me in! I know code, and have worked in WordPress for years.

7. May 21, 2012 at 10:44 am

I think we have cart before horse. Rather than picking folks out, we should be having a discussion about what the group needs. That discussion was taking place this weekend on the FaceBook page but it can be a mess to follow. So at this stage I would humbly suggest that rather than nominating ourselves that we should think about what a Steering Committee’s function is, how we want to go about picking them, etc. Right now we have an ad hoc committee that has yet to convene. But I think a discussion is in order before nominations/elections/by-laws etc are in place. That can’t happen until everyone is on the bus. But we should be thinking and discussing this. To quote myself this weekend, I think at this stage questions are more valuable than answers.

Thank you April/Melody for posting this for discussion.

• danadampier
      May 21, 2012 at 12:47 pm

So we are going to have Theme leaders and a Steering Committee and you are wanting to know what we think the Steering Committee should be responsible for? I just want to make sure I got it straight.

• May 21, 2012 at 12:56 pm

We currently have an ad hoc Steering Committee. The permanent Steering Committee should come from the caucusing of the subcommittees/theme teams.

• danadampier
          May 21, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Alright, just trying to understand what you need.

• May 21, 2012 at 1:24 pm

That’s why we need to get more folks on the bus first so then we can move these discussions to the private setting of this blog site and information doesn’t get lost.

• danadampier
          May 21, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I’ll do my best to steer MNINB folks to this blog.

8. May 21, 2012 at 10:46 am

The new(er) Blogroll list contains valuable information about who we are and what skill sets we bring to the table. Enough info to start thinking of forming more manageable subcommittees.

• danadampier
      May 21, 2012 at 2:01 pm

To come up with themes, should me make yet another doc and ask them what they would want to be listed as. Then the Steering Committee could decide which themes will stay and which will go? Or is there an easier way? Once we decide the themes we could then choose who would be the captain.

• May 21, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Go Slow To Go Fast…to quote Jim Collins. First go to the existing new(er) MNINB blogroll doc and check out cool people you want to work with. Common theme will come up and you guys can float one. I just came up with examples to show where they would live under the Who We Are tab. All of that is easily changed later. The important thing is to connect and start conversing with each other. It should be the beginning of many beautiful relationships.

• danadampier
          May 21, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I added what you just said to that Doc that was made on the facebook page. The Doc that tells us what we should be doing.

9. May 21, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Re: the theme captain idea, if we went exclusively by the purported themes within our blogs, I’d be assigned nothing, as I do not have an exclusive theme. I write about diverse topics in a nonfiction, informational setting. I would like to connect to other nonfiction writers who value research and information as much as I do. I have no idea how to communicate that except to post a comment here.

• May 22, 2012 at 1:58 am

Many folks have interests/talents outside their blogs…go to the new(er) MNINB Blogroll. Lots of cool folks there.

• danadampier
      May 22, 2012 at 5:30 am

Have you checked out Kirra’s blog? I believe it’s called Thoughtul and it’s listed in the blogroll on the left. She writes inspirational posts that may be closely related to yours.

• May 24, 2012 at 1:21 am

Socciwriter, I’m a researcher. I do that a lot more than write — it’s the nature of the beast. 🙂

10. danadampier
    May 23, 2012 at 4:52 am

Thanks, I don’t know if she’s noticed it yet though.

11. May 23, 2012 at 7:47 am

Whew, this has been a challenge. But here’s my comment.

12. May 23, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Which doc is it exactly on FB or here that tells us what we should be doing?

• May 23, 2012 at 8:13 pm

I have it hot-linked in the first post on this blog to cut down on the confusion. Check out the Caution: This Is A Construction Site post.

13. May 24, 2012 at 12:58 am

Hey Lara and Veronica, I tried to add my blog and Twitter handle to the blogrolls on the side, but I wasn’t able to do it. Not sure if I don’t have the “authority” or if I don’t know where to look. On mine, there is a “links” section, but I only saw “posts” available to me in the dashboard. Can someone add them for me or direct me how to do it? http://www.erinbradypike.com @EBPike

Thanks in advance!

• May 24, 2012 at 11:08 pm

See comment directly above yours. It is all on Caution: This Is A Construction Site. I’ll get you inputted on this site. Can you input your info on the docs so others might find it. Thanks.

14. May 24, 2012 at 3:16 am

Would it help you all to have a twitter chat to sort some stuff out and be able to ask and answer questions in real time?

• May 25, 2012 at 11:08 am

Yes, the G+ chat was loads of fun. Now we have everyone on a group thread for immediate updates. I think we’ve come pretty darn far in a week’s time. A collective pat on the back to all!

And, Margo, I’m hoping that my response to Brooke’s comment also speaks to you. You’ve got tons of talent…and I know, no time…but hopefully we can utilize everyone’s strengths and still respect their time commitments.

It’s Friday. So it must be a Freeforall! I need to head to your site now.

• May 25, 2012 at 11:47 am

You learn fast, Lara. it is indeed a freeforall!

My problem is less time, more stress. I have a strong alert system, as panic sends me fleeing from the computer for months. I shall keep up with everything [you all have been incredible], and try gently to see if I can contribute without the signal going on alert.

• May 25, 2012 at 1:58 pm

We all have to honor the process.

15. May 24, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I would be glad to be on the Steering Committee. I do have experience herding butterflies…it isn’t an easy job, but it is rewarding. Besides my day job and my WIPs, I am currently and have been the President of an arts counsel for more than 2 years (now that is herding butterflies!). Let me know how I can help.

• May 25, 2012 at 11:05 am

Brooke, I am incredibly overwhelmed by the amount of talented, creative, and generous folks we have on this “bus” of ours. This is an amazing group of folks. I asked a group of talented folks to be on the provisional steering committee last week when I set up this website. Just a bit of ballast to help us get direction.

The real work now is making sure everyone is on board and welcomed to the party. This is the networking phase where we get to know one another. From there we form caucuses. This is where we need all the leaders and co-leaders we can get. So I’m very excited we have so many folks wanting a more active role. There will be PLENTY of roles. Trust me on that! So for those of you who want to do more, start thinking about what that would look like for you.

April will be doing a series of posts on the “what’s next” steps.