What’s Behind the Curtain

We are hard at work designing the background functions of the new site. The Steering Committee is looking into what’s required to make our site a Private Social Network.

We have all the Blogroll links sorted and working. All users from the old site have been added. Your user ID will be the same as on the old site. Everyone except the Steering Committee is currently set to the default subscriber role. Powers and abilities will be adjusted in the coming weeks.

Our new “soft opening date” is July 30th. At that time, an email with a generic password will be sent so that you can login and look around. Our scheduled date for promotion to the public is sometime in September.

You may send any questions or suggestions to the steeringcommittee at wordsmithstudio.org.

7 comments for “What’s Behind the Curtain

1. July 2, 2012 at 12:52 am

Wow that’s great to see kind of what we’re aiming for!

Can I suggest one thing? Can we consider slowing down the slide show that features the new posts? I consider myself a fast reader, but I couldn’t finish reading the blurb at the bottom of the image before it changed to another.

2. Lara Britt
    July 2, 2012 at 7:34 am

Kirra, thanks for stopping by.

What you see isn’t what you will get. The site is still very much under construction. the background color, the fonts, the page defaults will all change. Lots and lots of work to be done. But it does give you an idea of the possibilities. Here are even more ideas. Here is a link to what some other folks have done with the Custom Community theme with BuddyPress that we are using. Enjoy the window shopping!http://themekraft.com/custom-community/showcase/

April deserves a lot of applause for getting this thing as far as it is!

3. Melody Pearson
    July 2, 2012 at 10:32 am

I’ve adjusted the slider time. I uses ms (milliseconds) so it took some playing around. I’ve got it set for 30 seconds. Let me know if that’s too fast (or too slow).

• July 5, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I like what I see! The only problem I’ve spotted is that the […} at the end of an introductory blurb seems to indicate there’s more, but no matter where I click in the space, I don’t go anywhere. Maybe it’s not intended to suggest that?

Regardless, the site is looking great, and I see so many features yet to come. Thanks to all of you (especially you, April) for the hard work.

• July 6, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Gerry, you are correct that the […] is supposed to indicate more. I agree that, logically it should be a link. I’ll have to search through the theme options and see if I can “make it so.” However, you can link through to the rest of the post by clicking on the title.

4. Becca
    July 18, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Hey, everything looks great so far!! I’ve been clicking around and reading for a little while, but I’m headed off to bed now. Maybe we should start a conversation in the forum for people who want to get involved and what that involvement might involve… 😉 I’ll check back in tomorrow. G’night all.

5. August 23, 2012 at 8:52 am

It really does look great, as Becca said. Veronica’s header is gorgeous!