Getting there

You walk into a dark theatre. As you stumble to find a seat, you realize that the movie has already started and it’s in a foreign language without subtitles. You think, “I’m screwed! Can I get my money back?”

But you decide to sit back with the popcorn and hope you can catch up with who is who and who is doing what on the big silver screen.

That’s what it felt like when I started working on the Wordsmith Studio Steering Committee. Luckily for me, the other members were welcoming, patient and accommodating to this newbie. I can’t claim that I have this all figured out, but I’m getting there.

In fact, our website is getting there. We’re waiting on a few technical issues and thingamabots. (This is the foreign language part for me.) The launch date is nearing, but there are a few things we need to do before all that can happen.

This is where you all come in, my fellow Wordsmithers.

If you haven’t already, please log into the site, www.wordsmithstudio.org, and input your biography, photo and avatar. Don’t actually “Publish” the post, simply save it as a “Draft.” A member of the Editorial team will turn it into a “Page” and add it to the menu bar.  If you provide your information by Aug. 31, you will be awarded the use of a special badge indicating you are a Wordsmith Studio Founding Member. You will be able to post the badge on your personal blog, and it will appear on your bio page on our website.

What does the badge look like? Well … we don’t have one yet. Consider this a call for design submissions. Send your design/s to steeringcommittee@wordsmithstudio.org by Aug. 31.

The badge does not have to incorporate the same elements of the logo that we’re using on the Wordsmith Studio page.  We’ll put the submissions up for a vote.

Keep watching. Pass the popcorn.

Write on.

13 comments for “Getting there

1. August 22, 2012 at 10:59 am

Yeah, can’t wait!Everything is looking great!

• Amy
      August 24, 2012 at 6:49 pm

I know! Isn’t this exciting?!

2. August 22, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Looks awesome, everyone! I got my bio updated and saved as draft. Thanks Amy and SC!

• Amy
      August 24, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Thanks for getting your bio in. You’ll be able to display a Founding Member badge with pride. 🙂

3. August 23, 2012 at 10:28 am

Lovin’ the idea of a badge we can use on our own pages. Thanks, Steering Committee, for a stellar job!

4. Amy
    August 24, 2012 at 6:51 pm

The badge idea is pure genius, huh? I’ll have to find out who suggested it.

5. August 29, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Alrighty then 🙂 I’ve done my biographical duty. Thanks for the prod. I’ve been meaning to get with the whole WS Studio thing.
    Looking forward to next steps!
    Mel

6. August 30, 2012 at 3:46 am

I think the “badge” idea is great! Can’t wait to see the suggestions. Maybe we could approve of several badges – different colours, mainly, to fit our different web sites. This is an idea I got from NaNoWriMo where the main image is the same, but it is offered in several sizes and slight variances.

Looking forward to the wonderful things ahead!
    MK

7. August 30, 2012 at 4:49 am

Looking forward to the wonderful things ahead!
    MK

PS. If this comment appears twice, sorry. If possible, dear moderators, do not approve of the first one – I simply forgot to log in before commenting 🙂

8. Becca
    August 30, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Once we decide on a badge, I’d be happy to tweak it into any color for specific sites. 😉

9. August 31, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Love the idea of a badge. Much kudos to the steering committee for all the hard work.

10. September 1, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I am slowly getting my bio to the website. Right now, much of what I can handle is Goodreads & doing some FB stuff with the group. I can’t wait to start working on my own blog again. The weather is still crazy here: yesterday was 90 degrees & humid! So my health is not great. I will get the info to you as soon as I can. The idea of a badge is brilliant! It makes the group even more formal.

Thanks for the update, Amy!

Monique

11. margo roby
    September 2, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Glad I rechecked! I had commented once but then realised I wasn’t officially logged in. The place looks great.

Poetry, please and my bio photo is fine.